A Basic Primer on Mold Inspections
If you are considering Mold Testing NYC and looking at this website, then chances are you already have a mold problem. What you may not know is how serious this problem is. Mold is the silent killer that creeps into your well secured home, undetected until you have a full-fledged problem. Mold affects the integrity of building construction, lowers the value of your house and adversely affects your family’s health. A regular mold inspection can prevent this deadly enemy from invading your home. By detecting mold in its early stages, you can prevent it from doing irreparable damage, causing sickness and loss of revenue.
There are many types of mold that vary according to geographical location, moisture levels and types of construction material used in your building. Some locations with a more arid climate only have mold problems from localized problems such as a poorly ventilated crawl space beneath your house, a basement with no sump pump (especially if you live in an area with a shallow water table or near a spring or creek), leaking or broken water pipes within a structure or even lawn sprinkler pipes that are leaking to the point of subbing into your crawlspace or construction. Houses/buildings with no foundations are at an even greater risk for mold infestation and therefore need a more frequent mold inspection.
Locations with a more humid climate have a more severe risk for mold. Even if your building is new and was constructed with mold and mildew treated materials, you need a regularly scheduled mold inspection and regular re application of mold preventatives to protect your investment. Even if you live in a semi-arid state, living near a lake or in a constantly shady area could add a tremendous amount of moisture to the air, thus attacking the integrity of your walls daily with unnoticed moisture. Moisture in the air is your worst enemy when it comes to mold; you get so conditioned to it yourself that you may not realize it has permeated your structure and begun breaking down its integrity until you see some sign of it or smell its presence. Without a regularly scheduled mold inspection, by the time you recognize the damage, it will cost you a lot of heartache and more money to fix the problem than it would have to prevent it. When it comes to mold, the old saying, and “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is definitely true!
Mold is also a severe health risk, especially to members of our community who suffer from lung problems such as asthma or chronic Bronchitis. I am sure you have heard of black mold and that it is severely toxic, but what exactly is it? Black Mold is a substance that thrives in high-cellulose material—for instance, hay, wet leaves, dry wall, carpet, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, thermal insulation, and so on. Black mold can be quite hard to get rid of, even when it has been detected and the infected materials bagged and disposed of, there is always a great chance of reoccurrence. The problem with this mold is that it hides well, but can still affect the air quality. Unfortunately, black mold cannot always be detected by a visual inspection. If you have had your home or potential home inspected and the inspector discovered water damage, beware! Even if research of the issue found that whatever was causing the damage has been repaired, most housing inspectors do not know to look in the hidden areas for black mold residue. In fact, in this situation, black mold is at its most dangerous condition. Unless a person contacts the spores, they are not a hazard until they dry out enough to become airborne. In this airborne state they are known to present potential life threatening conditions for some individuals and can cause pulmonary hemosiderosis (bleeding in the lungs) in children. Any building is susceptible to black mold. Take, for instance, the situation that the Johnson family found themselves in just a short while ago.
The Johnsons moved their happy family of four into a brand new house over on Elm Street. It was not long before they had settled in, made friends and were continuing on with their new lives. However, their youngest daughter, ten-year-old Melissa, started having problems breathing. They didn’t’ think anything of it at first, accredited it to a new set of allergens and said it would probably go away soon. Their doctor confirmed this. The symptoms did not get better, however, they got worse. Soon they feared Melissa had Asthma and she was put on the proper medications. However, 3 months later, when she began coughing up blood, her parents knew something was seriously wrong. Doctors were unable to find the cause and her parents were at their wits ends. Then one day as Melissa’s mother was having a conversation about this situation in the grocery store, a man nearby over heard. He kindly interrupted her and told her that black mold was known to cause those types of symptoms. She dissuaded him, assuring him that their house was new and couldn’t possibly have a mold problem, especially since none of them had seen or smelled mold and they lived in a dry climate. The gentleman assured her that it was possible and told her to have a mold inspection. Not knowing what else to do, she and her husband called our company and scheduled a mold inspection. It was near the end of the inspection when our technician noticed a very small water stain under the children’s bathroom. Upon closer inspection it was discovered that when the builders were installing the bathtub, they had ruptured a water pipe and flooded part of the bathroom. Since it was only a small amount of water, they cleaned it up, had the pipe fixed and went on their way. What they didn’t know was that the water had soaked into the unprotected flooring under the vanity and produced black mold. Once the water had dried up the mold also dried up and became airborne, effecting little Melissa every time she was in the bathroom and her bedroom that was adjacent. The Johnsons stayed in a hotel while the bathroom was repaired. By the time they moved back into their home Melissa was no longer coughing up blood. In two weeks time she could breath normally again and continued on with her life. But what would have happened if no one would have inspected the house and discovered the mold? Don’t wait to find out; schedule Mold Testing NYC today!