Mold And Your Health Issues
Mold is a ubiquitous nuisance in buildings everywhere. Mold spores are a common element in household dust and generally they are benign in their effects. However, when mold is present in large quantities, it presents a health hazard to people. Mold, in large enough quantities has the potential to cause chronic allergic reactions and severe respiratory problems. As a result, mold allergies have become serious problems for many people.
Toxic molds, or the type of mold people have a reaction to, are unlike their benign cousins because harmful molds produce toxins. These toxins pose serious health risks to both the home’s human and animal inhabitants. Exposure to high levels of mold produced toxins can result in brain injury and, if left untreated, death. Of particular concern is prolonged exposure, as might occur if a toxic mold problem is left unchecked and the residence continues to be inhabited.
Toxic molds can be difficult for the home owner to detect. Often, the residents of a home contaminated by mold will not be able to smell an odor or even be aware that the problem exists. Common building materials, such as wood, metal and concrete are all capable of mold growth. Indoor mold growth is typically related to a water or moisture problem. Leaky roofs, building maintenance problems, or indoor plumbing problems can all be problems which lead to mold growth.
Frequently, air conditioning systems can create the conditions for significant mold growth. air conditioning systems create a difference in temperature that causes condensation and the dusty air moved through the system creates an ample food supply for the mold which feeds on the contents of the dust. Due to their ability to increase the chances of mold growth and spore circulation, air conditioning systems should be equipped with quality filter components that are frequently cleaned or replaced. Also, filters can be placed on air ducts to prevent spore circulation. Any filter component must be changed regularly to prevent spore build up.
In order to solve a mold problem, one must first stop the source of moisture. Next, one must remove the mold growth that has already occurred. Lastly, get more sunlight to the places where mold grows. Also, ventilation, frequent use of household cleansers, and replacement of porous building material with non porous building materials can reduce the chances of developing a mold problem. Serious mold problems will require professional mold removal to completely replace the affected building materials. If it makes economic sense, another strategy is to simply get rid of any building materials affected by water intrusion or that have visible mold growth. In the absolute most extreme cases of mold growth, it is a last resort to condemn the building rather than try to clean the mold to the point where the space would be safe.
Consideration must be given to whether or not you will need a professional remediator. This will be determined by the size of the infestation, the type of building flaws to be repaired and the results of professional air and surface sampling for toxic black mold spores.